Thursday, September 3, 2009

So Close...

(updated, with the whole story behind)

So close to be in. But it was like a sudden death when I lost in my last round. Draws from De Leon and Sevillano and a big win from Lemi, I reached Board 1. But lost my tempo during that last round with Morado. So that will mean mmore practice.. more practice ... more practice and more studies... more studies .

Round 1 on Board 5, Jhonel Legaspi (w) vs Me (b). It was an amazing game, I sacrificed my queen to have a smoother mate.

Round 2 on on Board 4, Me (w) vs Jhoemar Mendiogari (b). I got more space to cramp the position of my opponent and able to capture his queen to a trap.

Round 3 on Board 2, Me (w) vs. Rhenzi Kyle Sevillano (b). Our game ended in a draw. I did not see the wining combination. I have 1 rook , bishop and knight with a good position advantage and a perpetual check while Sevillano has a queen and a perpectual check also. Sevillano is the champion in the 2009 1st National Age Group which was held at Kalibo Aklan and representative to the last Asean Age Group.

Round 4 on Board 2, Heince Patrick De Leon (w) and Me (b) . I drew the game with De Leon, a very close game, I am almost losing but able to return again.

Round 5 on Board 3, Me (w) vs Daniel John Lemi (b), a big win which put me on board 1.

Round 6 I am already on board 1 and it was against Donguines, a much awaited moment for me. John Fleer Donguines, Rhenzi Kyle Sevillano, Jeth Romy Morado are the best in the batch of `Boys 8-under` that I had to play with when I first joined the 2007 National Age Group Chess Tournament. And only after two years that I been paired with John Fleer. You only measure your strength if you bested the much stronger player.

But you can only play once, no rewind. Of course many people got disappointed especially my parents. They wanted me to stop it, well maybe it was just an outburst of frustration. I wanted very much to continue my chess. I hope I can get a sponsor to support my training.

2nd Placer Silver medalist - 2nd 2009 National Age Group Chess Tournament
Awarding ceremony with GM Jayson Gonzales, GM John Paul Gomez, SPEM/Barley president Michael Vargas.

My profile

Starting Rank = No. 5

Final Rank after Round 7 = No. 2

1 comment:

  1. Oks lang yan daryl =) 10 years old ka palang, many more tournaments to come...

    you win some, you lose some =)

    the important thing is =) you enjoy it =) losing is part oy your learning experience =)

    always, take your loses as a challenge to be better next time =)

    always remember, there will always be next time... and it will be sweeter =)

    regards,
    Pinoychess

    ReplyDelete