Saturday, November 13, 2010

Our competion at Jakarta, Indonesia

We saw the line up and saw familiar names... this is going to be a very tough competition because this is going to be more than just an Asean age-group competition, this is really an ASEAN OLYMPIAD!!!.  3 teams were formed by Indonesia: Indonesia 1, Indonesia 2 and Indonesia 3.  Those kids gone through an elimination and they are the 9 players who will best represent their country.  Malaysia had their Rank 1 under 12 player.  Vietnam sent 3 of their best rated players and Asean-age group campaigners. Singapore likewise send their 3 best rated players including my co-Asean age grouper CM Lim De Li Derek. 

Time in Jakarta is less than an hour Manila time The schedule was full and had little time to rest in between games:
 
6 rounds standard game
Day 1 of the competition (Nov. 5, Friday)
Rd. 1 : 8am to 12 nn           -- lunch follows
       2 : 2pm to 6pm            -- dinner follows
       3 : 7pm to 11pm

Day 2 of the competition (Nov. 6, Saturday)
Rd  4 : 8am to 12 nn         -- lunch follows
       5 : 2pm to 6pm          -- dinner follows
       6 : 7pm to 11pm


6 rounds rapid game  (Nov. 7, Sunday)

Rd.  1 : 8am to 9:30 am
       2 : 10pm to 11:30pm  -- lunch follows
       3 : 2pm to 3:30pm
       4 : 4pm to 5:30pm     -- dinner follows
       5 : 7:30pm to 9pm

Rd  6 : 8am to 9:30am (Nov. 8, Monday)
6 rounds blitz
Rds 1 to 4 :  10am to 12nn
        5 to 6 : 2 to 2:30nn
AWARDING
       3:30 PM

I arrived at Jakarta, Indonesia with little fever.  I had tonsillitis problem because of the candies and chocolates we had after the trick and treat at my mother`s office. And the night after we left for Indonesia we had some ice cream as a celebration for my winning in La Union.  During the dinner and welcome program I actually feel sick. My mom had to bring 'tempra' and give me medicine every 4 hours.

Our day starts at 6:00 in the morning, woke up and prepare for breakfast.  As much as possible we set our breakfast time at around 6:45 in the morning. At 7:30am our breakfast must be finish then so we can still can rest for a while before the game starts at 8:00am.

Still feverish at that time. But thanks to tita Mary Ann, she gave me some bio-flue and we had Vita-Plus juice that served as our sports drinks. : )

Our last game is at 7:00pm, feeling tired and sleepy some of the kids cannot help but yawn while playing.  I even committed an illegal move, my opponent called the arbiter for a technical move. A Misaligned move! I was given a warning....but anyway I still won that game.

My last game resulted in a draw and silver medal slips in my hands.  I finished 4th... a half-point less but still not enough to secure a medal.  Sad : ( ...  But nevertheless, I was just trailing behind more experienced and rated players of my age.  I know we can able to do it and be at par with them it if same assistance and support is also given to us by our dear organization here in our country.  Yeoh Li Tian of Malaysia is a world youth campaigner since 2008 and is playing in  rated open matches.  They always have rated and open matches in their country.  There is CM Le Nguyen Khoi Nguyen, 10th ASEAN+ Age Group Open U10 2009 Champ. We had an encounter in the Standard and we had a draw.  Another encounter is in the Blitz game Round 3 and I also defeated him.



complete ranking for the standard game


After two days of standard games and practically spending some 15 hours in a day I felt some discomfort when the rapid game started.  I woke up a little late and had to hurry up with my breakfast. No more time to rest before the game.  I had stomach cramps when the game started.  Losing 2 consecutively was not good in the event we considered to show excellence. Sorry for the frustration.

But still wanting to be on track of the game. I was paired with other rated players like Ow Jun Wan Ryan (1669) of Singapore, I won over him in the rapid game.

I defeated Le Nguyen Anh Koi (1752) and Nguyen Huynh Tuan Hai (1788) both of Vietnam in the blitz game.

After the rapid game, our last chance now is to score in the blitz game.  I had secured the silver medal, thanks God! but still our team is counting points.  And we went back to our room to prepare for the awarding.  It was in the venue that awards are being mentioned before giving the medals.  In the blitz game team category, Philippines was called and we were overjoyed!  Our chess team will all come home with medals! Thanks for the support of our Filipino woodpushers and our chess community who prayed with us and believe in us. The table tennis team was there during the awarding and of course Mrs. Rosa Domingo and Mr. Len Toledo and others teachers from DepEd who cheered us during the ceremony.  To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment